Saturday, May 19, 2012

First Finish of 2012 - My Bag


First Finish of 2012


My first finish for the year and it is already March.  I did do 6 cherry pit bags (like rice bags) for DH and my brother, who have both been ill, but they (the bags, not my DH and my brother)  and their little pillowcases didn't seem worthy of counting, this bag is a stretch, lol.   I wouldn't want any close scrutiny, as this is far from perfect, but it should go in the washing machine and dryer and come out nicely, as long as the Ikea heavier weight fabric washes well.  I looked on the internet and it seems that it's washable, so I have high hopes.  The straps and the inside lining are all from the Ikea fabric.  The outside pockets on each side are also lined with it.  If I were to make another, I'd probably do a little narrower straps, these are 2 inches wide.  I'm hoping that my cell phone will adapt well to one of the outside pockets.

This, as you can see, is the inside.  All the pockets are lined with a cotton striped fabric, and I did several lines of stitching on the top to hopefully add stability as I didn't use interfacing.  I have 3 pockets on the top side for keys and hand sanitizer, and then one large deep pocket on the bottom side for important papers, like lab orders and Dr. appointments and such.  I put a long strip of velcro along the top to keep everything inside.  I see that I still have some threads to clip.  I guess that it won't be a joy forever, as it is not necessarily a beauty, but hopefully, it will last a few years.  If I decide not to carry it as a bag, it will still be a nice tote bag.   I chose the green, blue and white Ikea fabric because it was the only heavier weight fabric that I had on hand.  
I thought since this is such a momentous finish and all, being as how it's taken me three months for my little finish, so that I would join in with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday, and you can see more finishes here on her blog

No comments: