Thursday, December 8, 2011

Iowa (Carolina) Christmas Finished

My "Iowa Christmas" is not a great job, but it is finished.  Finally, I can use it for Christmas after having the top almost ready through two Christmases.  It was Bonnie's end of the year mystery in 2009.  DH and I like our pillows, can you tell.  The top pillowcases are actually Christmas ones, and the unmatched ones I did that way on purpose so that DH would leave mine alone.  I don't think that it has worked though, he grabs whatever is handy.  The quilt at the bottom of the bed is another mystery.  I apologize, I don't remember who was the teacher, but I think it was either on Stashbusters or Cyberquilters and was called "Strip Road".  I messed mine up a bit by getting lazy and using some whole pieces instead of pieced pieces and so I called mine "Christmas Unstrip Road", I'm very original.  Aah Ha, I looked it up and the person who generously shared was Benita Skinner.   That was also back in October 2009, about the same time that Bonnie did "Carolina Christmas" for us.  I had a great fear of quilts over around 60 inches wide, as that was about the widest my Sharon Schamber boards would allow me to baste, but now I've managed a quilt that I think is 92" x 92", so it broadens my horizons and will allow me to make larger quilts.  The extra width was a little challenging to quilt on my Juki, but it was manageable.  One of these days, maybe I'll be able to take a machine quilting class and get better at it and be proud enough to put a picture on of my quilting, lol.  Until then, I just can't do it.   
PS  I had hoped to get my little tree up and Christmas decorations out and maybe I'll get a burst of energy and do it today.  If not, It will have to wait a few days as Clue number 4 of Orca Bay comes out tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to set my priorities that way.

10 comments:

regan said...

Candace....you're crazy! You did a fantastic job on that quilt! It looks fabulous! And I'll bet your quilting is fabulous, too! Don't be so hard on yourself.....do you know how many quilters would kill to be able to quilt their own quilts? And you finished that in record time, too! You only basted it on Tuesday! Sheesh! That's fast! Way to go, girl! This quilt is awesome!

Ellen said...

Your quilt is lovely and looks great on your bed. I only use one pillow (and sometimes none) but my husband uses lots. I try to do the same thing with the pillowcases...and he still tries to get my pillow!

Ginny said...

Gorgeous quilt, and you finished it in time for Christmas! Woo Hoo! Hope you have lots of sweet dreams under that beauty.

Michelle said...

It looks WONDERFUL!!!!

Jan Maree said...

Your quilt looks wonderful and I bet your quilting does too. Congrats on being able to enjoy it this christmas!

Quilting By Celia said...

Love your quilt and your blog looks much better with the new template.

Amanda said...

The quilt looks lovely now that it's finished and on your bed. You quilted that quickly - did you do straight lines or squiggly ones?

Kay said...

That is an incredible quilt. I am completely in awe of your talent. Wow!

Amy said...

Hmmm...wish I would have seen your Carolina Christmas before finishing up mine; I like the addition of the sashing! It "calms" down the craziness nicely; my colors blended too much and lacked contrast. Yours are so rich!
Amazing finish!

Kirsti said...

Todella upeaa työtä. Kaunis todella.