Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cecilia's Big Girl Quilt

It's almost reversible, the back is flannel and pieced, a moneysaver, but it takes longer.   The batting is pieced too, same thing, saves money and freed up some space in my closet, but still takes a bit longer. 
This was a fun easy quilt to make, I used the tutorial that Jean MaDan so nicely provided here.   It doesn't have quite the same impact with the hot pink as with her black, but I think it turned out cute.

The label.  The seahorses aren't quite as dark in person.  The seahorses are free embroidery designs from BFC Creations here.

I'm not too good at the floor shots.  I stood on a chair and put the camera up in the air above my head, but just couldn't seem to get everything centered.  

I thought that I was finished with the jelly roll style strippie quilts, but Sunday at church a lady gave a talk about her 2 month old baby who has been diagnosed with downs syndrome.  She quoted a story about preparing for a trip to France and then landing in Holland and not being able to go to France after all.   She said that's what the birth of her beautiful little baby girl is like,  Holland is different, but France is not better, just different.   They plan to go forward with love for their little one and enjoy the triumphs and deal with the challenges.   They don't want pity, just understanding and love and happiness from their friends and family.   Being a quilter, my mind started thinking of the Holland story.  The only fabric that I found was a little steep for my budget right now, so I thought, yet another strippy as I already have the strips, and I have ordered some border material that will have a Dutch type theme.  I also thought that I'd get some embroidery patterns, I found some nice ones already, and use them for embroidery in each outer corner of the quilt and on the label.  I think I'll make it bigger than a baby quilt so the whole family can use it.  Hopefully, they will like it.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm sure Cecilia will love her quilt. Whenever I try to piece wadding together it seems to end up wonky and lumpy, so I have to quilt the lumps flat as I hate to waste biggish pieces. Christopher's brother had Down's so we met many children and young adults with the syndrome during his life and a happier, kinder, more positive bunch you couldn't wish to meet. Different from what you expect yes, but still a real blessing.