Friday, May 23, 2008

Orange Crush Step 4 and Moment of Insanity




After all the work, I finally have a block. I am including steps 1 and 2 of the CC in that work. Only 100 more triangle sets to sew together, and 29 more blocks to piece, and I will be done with step 4 of the OC. I can see I need to mix things up a bit more, but I was so excited to put a block together that I guess I didn't really look that hard. As careful as I tried to be, I had to do a little ripping. I had my red where the black should be, and my black where the red should be. Luckily, I only had to undo 3 little seams. As usual, my angle is bad. I don't have a design wall, but I'm thinking that I will make myself a small flannel board so I can at least put up a block or two.
Now for the moment of insanity. I don't need a machine. I have my 18 year old Bernina, and my Janome Jem, and even a little blue Sears machine that I bought for an uninterested granddaughter. So why when I saw conversations about featherweights did I look on Ebay, just out of curiousity? I don't know, but when I did, I got the impulse to put in a bid, and then another bid and another. Finally, I reached my absolute limit, and was waiting in anticipation, half hoping to win, and half hoping to lose. As you have probably surmised, the win half won. I had always liked them, even before I knew what they were. I used to sew with my friend in Massachusetts about 35 years ago, and she had a cute little black machine. I'm not positive, but I would bet that it was a featherweight, and as you can see, it stuck in my mind. Then when I started quilting and learned what they were, I wished that I had one, mostly because they are so cute. According to the information, it is in good condition and works. I am hoping to study up, and get it in really good condition, but I also am wanting just to display it in my sewing room. Again, it's so cute.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, there you are you see, you'll be caught up before the next step is posted! I had the same problem with the first block I tried, I had to unpick virtually every seam before I got it right. Cute little machine, but 4 machines - do you use them all?

Lurline said...

Candace, your OC looks great - had a nice quiet interesting read of your blog just now, thanks.
Best wishes - Lurline/Australia.

Jeanne said...

Your Step 4 block looks great. I finished my blocks but still have steps 2 and 3 to do. *s* You will love the Featherweight! I do all of my piecing on mine and also take it to classes.