Thursday, October 25, 2012

Baby News and Drunkard's Path






We have a new great grandbaby, unfortunately, we won't see him for awhile as we are here in the USA and he is in Germany, but we will enjoy him just the same.  Not like the old days when pictures and letters were all there was to communicate, we have the instant gratification of texts, phone calls, skype and facetime.   No pictures yet, it seems that Germany doesn't allow pictures to be sent  the first few days, but his name is Maddox Colwell, he is 6 lbs 10 oz, 20.2 inches long and was born 2:29 pm their time, and 8:29 am our time.   I'm sure that he is adorable.  Mama, Daddy and baby are fine and his big sister is fine too, but yesterday she thought they should just leave him at the hospital, lol.   She only got to see him from several yards away, I'm sure she'll change her mind when she sees him up close.      
Yesterday my drunkard's path templates came, and this morning I cut them out and did one block to see how it went.  Not bad, it's the right size and not too wonky.  I was scardest of  all of these curved blocks and now only 29 more to go for my two blocks.  
About 2 1/2 hours later:
                                                              
It took about 2 1/2 hours to get from the point of 1 little drunkard's path to 16 of them to make a block.  Here they are pinned and ready for assembly line sewing.  Actually, I added 2 more pins each before I sewed them.  On the right is 16 more ready and waiting for the second Craftsy BOM. 
                              
Here's the finished block.  I'd be really proud of myself, except there are some doing this as their first quilts and theirs look good too.   
                     

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Congratulations on the new baby grandson, how exciting for you both. Your drunkards path block looks great. I've finished mine too, though neither has turned out at the correct size, they're a bit small. I'll have to do something creative with the sashing! My first one isn't very good as I tried doing it without pinning. Not a good idea, so I pinned the second one. We're both probably at about the same point now. I have the second foundation pieced block to now and then I'm done.