Monday, January 2, 2012

I Wasn't Having Fun Yet - Rippit - But I Am Now

Here is what I did at first (after the Rippit Rippit).  I thought I was being super careful, but I made the mistake of going by the pictures in the instructions (on pages 1 and 2) without noticing that on the one of the actual quilt that the top left Ohio Star was a light, and on the EQ version on page 2 the top left Ohio Star is a dark.  Luckily, it wasn't that hard to fix, I used the original row 1 as row 3 and made another row 1.  I had marked the top left little string block and the top left of the second row, but I didn't 'look' at them until I had sewn them together.  Oh well. 

Here's a rather grainy picture of rows 1 through 3 sewn together.  If there are any more mistakes, I don't know if I want to know, lol.   As I had mentioned in my post "Is This What It'll Look Like"  I am going to make mine bigger, about 92 by 102 I think that I had figured and after seeing the first 3 rows, I think it'll look just fine in my bedroom.  I think that my colors won't even look that crazy.  I sure do miss my design wall that I lost when I changed from my little sewing room to my big one.  What happened to my wall space.  Pictures are a lot less wonky when you have a design wall.

As usual if you want to see what everyone is doing on their Orca Bays, go to Bonnie's blog here and take special notice of Forest Jane's Orca Bay badge I think she out did herself this time.  It's a beauty.
I couldn't help myself, I had to add it here.  Didn't I tell you it was a beauty.

I think that I'm calling mine "Sunrise Sunset" as the song from "Fiddler on the Roof" keeps going through my mind, and I don't really have any orcas.  I like the chorus, too:

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

16 comments:

~Niki~ said...

wow, tons of work in that beauty. happy new year!

Jeanne said...

Your colors are fabulous and that's the PERFECT name for your quilt!
Jeanne :)

Helen said...

your color combination is outstanding!

~Deb Lindley said...

Your vibrant quilt is the first one that caught my eye on the Monday link-ey page - outstanding! I can hardly wait to see the entire quilt finished, what a beauty this one will be...Thanks for sharing ;-)

~Deb

Quilter Steph said...

Your colors are amazing. I LOVE it!

Jan Maree said...

it is just gorgeous - the colours are wonderful!

Leeanne said...

Wow!
Did you have any problems with the geese/ string square rows being longer than the Ohio Star/ geese rows?

Anita said...

I like you title I think it fits perfectly. It is busy enough that I don't think anyone would notice if another one is out of order. I just printed out instructions to see if it was something that I would want to make later. It will have to wait since I have decided to join JudyL's 2012 UFO Challenge. I'm sure there is a little devil sitting on my shoulder getting me in trouble.

Sue Daurio said...

Wow now that is a head turner! Love the name and the colors. Can't wait to see it completed.

Vivian said...

Love the colors you used. What a happy quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

Perfect name for a beautiful quilt!

Amy said...

OH WOW!!!! Your color placements are really really working out beautifully with the layout!

Nichole said...

Wow! That pattern is so striking! Very beautiful!

Rhonda said...

Now that is a sunset (or sunrise). It is awesome. : )

Ellen said...

It will definitely be a beauty - love the name.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

wonderfully scrappy! I'm using cheddar as her red and can't wait so see it all laid out. Thanks for sharing yours!