Thursday, July 23, 2009

Will Work for Crumbs!

I've been sewing quite a bit this past week, and sometimes it is also thinking time when you are sewing full strips assembly line style. I am trying to do quilts for several young people and with just a "little" encouragement. That's what I mean by crumbs. One is due to:
"I get cold too, Grandma.", another when my niece got the quilts for her 3 little ones the older ones were there and wondered if there was something for them too, and the one for my nephew is due to his getting tearful when he accidentally burned a hole in the fleece blanket that I made him. Just a little bit gets me sewing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
(Edited to leave out parts that could be seen as negative)
I got a package from Thousands of Bolts today. The red is for a little border around each quilt, and the other fabrics are for 5" borders. That way they will be similar to each other but different.








The other picture is my new iron. I had a $15.00 off coupon from BJ's, but unfortunately they were out of that iron. Since I had a lot of strips to iron I wanted one "now" so I got this Black and Decker. I have a Maytag cordless, but it is across the room and I was walking myself to death and taking up way too much time. The geometric fabric is what I bought for the binding, and the tan fabric underneath is for the backs. My husband says that way maybe they'll like the fronts better, lol. I got the tan fabric at Ikea for $2.99 a yard and it is 59" wide. The last fabric I got there seemed to be good, and the price was right.
This is the first top without borders, and it doesn't look too good in the picture, but in person it has promise.

6 comments:

Karen Anne said...

I think the "first top" looks gorgeous.

Amanda said...

It must be a bit disheartening sometimes when your quilts aren't properly appreciated. I like your idea of using a plain 'dull' backing fabric.

Marie said...

I feel like you do when you work on something for someone and then you wonder if they really appreciatedit even a little bit. I made a beautiful wedding quilt last year for a special couple that I though would really love it and be proud. Never even heard thank you, they were the kids of my cousin that is so greatful for anything homemade. Your work is beautiful and you do so many special things, God bless you. Hugs, Marie

Amy said...

Oh Candace---the fabrics are simply YUMMY! Golly, it's a good thing fabric isn't edible; imagine how many calories we would be intaking every day!!

Enjoy the piecing! I truly can't wait to see these tops come together.

Susan in SC said...

I love your top! I can't wait to see it finished. I have the same iron that you do. I am sure that all these quilts will be treasured by the owner as they grow in maturity. It's the joy of creating and giving that keeps us going!

Julia said...

I't hard to know whar someone else would like..but it should be accepted and appreciated with the same sense of appreciation and love that went into making it..
Julia ♥