Thursday, July 9, 2009

New Vacuum Cleaner

A few months ago I decided I needed a new vacuum my old Kirby was about 25 years old and getting pretty raggedy plus I wanted a canister so that I could get to some things better and have more versatility without having to change back and forth to the Kirby hose. I had had a canister when we were first married and enjoyed it for a short time.
I read all the reviews that I could find, and they were almost all good for the model of my choice, but a few people mentioned that it was "heavy". I thought how heavy can it be it should be fine, and also it had a good dust filter which my Kirby didn't so maybe my house would be less dusty. When I had gotten my first of 2 Kirby's, a friend from our church was starting out selling Electrolux and he wanted to come give us a demonstration for experience. He said he'd wanted to try something so he put the hose on my Kirby and put the 2 hoses together and was quite happy when his vacuum sucked my Kirby bag flat. It must have impressed me too, because I still remember after all these years and decided that if I was getting a canister I'd prefer an Electrolux.
I worked with a lady who always said, "Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glisten." Well, I guess I'm no lady because when I vacuum with my new machine it sure feels like I'm sweating. I do about 1 room, and it is dripping down my face and off my hair. A rest, and then 2 more rooms and another wet paper towel. So on until I've finished our relatively small home. We keep the air conditioner on too. I told my husband that it is harder work than mowing the yard and I'll use it as long as I'm strong enough because it must be good for me. I do a lot more up and down, getting under and behind, and dusting this and dusting that, so maybe eventually our house will be less dusty and I will only "glisten".
PS Thank goodness for Ibuprofen, because today I'm just a little stiff.

4 comments:

Susan in SC said...

I've be looking at this vacuum cleaner. I have an Electrolux upright. I thought I would buy this but I just got my upright fixed instead. It will never wear out! Enjoy your new vacuum cleaner!

Susan in Sc

Lurline said...

Not my favourite chore, either - I get help on this aspect of housework!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Teresa said...

Well its cute anyway - but it does sound like it must be pretty heavy if it is that hard to vacuum. I have a cat that will let me vacuum her - she will even roll over so I can get her tummy!

Karen Anne said...

For years I used a Eureka Mighty Mite canister which worked well and was lightweight. Then when I moved cross country I left it behind as one of the things easier to replace than move. Big mistake, for this and other items. They really don't make things like they used to.

The newer one I bought just didn't work well, so I replaced it with a humongous upright that shredded my carpets and was really heavy. Back to square one.

At that point a couple of years had passed, and Eureka had come out with a newer Mighty Mite so I tried again. This one is easy to use and seems to work well. However, I use a metal rod(?) and simpler brush with it that the vacuum cleaner place guy sold me. The rod and brush that comes with it is plastic and the brush is hard to swivel.

With the replacement rod/brush, I am happy with mine at last again. Also, you can buy high filtration bags for it.