Saturday, July 18, 2009

Assembly Line Sewing

I haven't gotten to the sewing part yet, but I have been cutting strips. I decided to make 5 young men quilts for my niece's 2 boys, my nephew, and 1 grandson, 2 grandson's if the other shows any interest, or for me if he doesn't, I really like some of the fabrics. I saw a quilt on a blog that I liked the looks of and that I thought that maybe I could assembly line enough to get them done in a few weeks. I wish that I remembered which blog so that I could ask permission to put the picture on mine, but I can't. It is just 3 different width strips for each block and then they are turned different ways. I plan to put a narrow probably red border and then different larger borders for each one. So they'll be the same but different. They won't be art, but they will be warm and hopefully will turn out cute. Size about 57" x 81", enough to tuck under the toes and under the chin.
I had enough of the fabric left to make a 2 1/2" strip from each fabric to use in my 9 patch quilt from Crazy Mom Quilts sewalong so that is still in the works and I also need to quilt the 2 tops that I have for my niece's two girls so I have plenty to keep me busy.
I may not be able to reach my goals, as I think that my niece is coming the second week of August, but maybe I can get at least her kids and my nephew's done by then if I keep my nose to the grindstone.

3 comments:

Lurline said...

Wow, five quilts ... have fun ... you can do it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

scraphappy said...

That is a lot of ambition! I hope you manage to get it all done.

quiltmom anna said...

Candace,
I am not sure if you are referring to a rail tie quilt but that is a very simple quilt that is quick to make and looks very nice.
Do check out http://maryquilts.blogspot.com/
She has a number of free patterns on her blog that are based on some traditional designs.There is an icon near the top of her blog called Mary quilts.com with a list of free patterns and samples. Another one that is quite simple is the coin quilts.
I have made the strings RWB rails and it worked out very nicely. Good luck with your project.
Regards,
Anna