Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chili and Inertia

I have been having three extremely lazy days. I get up with intentions of getting lots done, and then the inertia sets in, and I don't git-r-done. As you can see, I have good intentions of finishing my OC, and I have it all organized and ready to go, but there it sits. I am going to use the excuse that I haven't decided on the setting yet, but I think it is mainly a case of laziness. Today, about the only thing I accomplished was an 8 quart pot of chili. In my opinion there are two main things that all cooks who make them think that theirs is the very best. One is lasagna, and the other is chili. I of course think mine is at least one of the best, but I realize that others feel that way about theirs. If you don't already make the best chili in the world, here is how I make mine. Remember, it makes about 8 quarts, but it freezes well. I use ingredients in 'about' measurements, and you should make it to your taste too:
2.5 pounds of hamburger, 2 coursely chopped onions, 5 cloves of minced garlic, about 3 tbsp. of worcestershire sauce, basil fresh or dried to taste, salt, pepper, 5 or so tbsp. of chili powder, 1 small can tomato paste about 6 oz., 1 small can tomato sauce about 8 oz., 1 can stewed tomatoes about 16 oz., 1 large can diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup katsup, 3 large cans kidney beans, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 soup can water, 1 cup wheat berries (from the health food store)
Brown the beef with the onions and garlic, and add the spices to taste. We prefer ours on the milder side, so if you like spicy add some pepper flakes, and more chili powder. Mix in the mushroom soup, and then add all the other ingredients. Bring to a simmer stirring often, and simmer for about an hour.
I like to serve mine over al dente pasta. Tonight we had mini wagon wheels. The wheat probably sounds strange as an ingredient, but it gives it a nice little popping sort of crunch, and it's good for you. Just don't add it if you have ulcers, as it could be hard on your stomach. My family also thinks I make the best chili, but I trained them to my taste.

6 comments:

Lurline said...

Hi Candace,
You are allowed to have a day procrastinating every now and then and what about your chilli? Sounds wonderful! We don't have cans of stewed tomatoes here - am wondering if they are whole Roma tomatoes. Chilli isn't a big thing in australia, but I just LOVE it.Your OC should be lovely - I'm putting borders on mine this morning. Best wishes - Lurline.

Helz said...

Wheat Berries Candace? Never come across these before... Your Chili sounds moreish ie. More Please!

Julia said...

Oh Yum!
Your chilli sounds wonderful.
My DH doesn't like hot chilli, but My DD and I both do.
So I'll make it for us.
have fun putting your OC together.
Hugs julia

Amy said...

Candace-regarding the OC----I'm just going with the flow and gonna set 'er up like Bonnie's pattern suggests. I actualy don't mind the brightness---perfect for summer! (kind of an oxy-moron though----a "summer quilt"---HA!)

Regarding the Chili----I'm a "soup" Chili person, where elbow noodles must be an ingredient along with 2 large cans of tomato juice :0) However, my husband is interested in trying your recipe. He enjoys what I call "Texan" chili---different beans, and THICK!

Hope you enjoyed your day KNOWING it IS okay to have a lazy day once in awhile :0)

Roslyn said...

Your blocks look lovely & neat I haven't finished mine yet & I think I like the alternate setting Lurline showed. I have a few days to decide.
Hugs,
Roslyn

scraphappy said...

Can't wait to see those OC blocks all put together. It's great that you are getting things done in the kitchen though. Sunday is pizza night in our house, so for once, no stress about what is for dinner.