Saturday, March 3, 2018

Pineapples, Color Wheels, and a little bit of Etc.

I was so happy to pull up Sewcanshe and find that my mini pineapple quilt had won the Show Off Saturday Linky Party.  Pineapple's seem to appeal to people.  I like them because they are a symbol for welcome. 
I bought the Connecting Threads color wheel quilt kit from Amazon several months ago and I decided it was time to give it a try.  There was a little more to it, as each piece has it's particular place, but it was fun to make and I think may be one of my favorite minis.  It will definitely need to be in my sewing room.
So, I put it up on my design wall (which is really a temporary addition to the front of a cabinet) and asked my husband which he liked best of the mini's I had made so far this year.  He looked and showed what he felt to be husbandly support of my efforts, and decided he really liked the pineapple, but wished it were bigger.  
Sooooo.  I upped the size of the squares to 2 1/2 inches, 2 inches finished, and this is what I came up with.  There was supposed to be more of the black and white in the binding, but I misfigured.
And now my original pineapple mini has a big sister.  The finished size of the larger one is about 12 1/2 inches by 18 1/2 inches.
Now, this is my minis for 2018 wall.  I know it's a bit excessive.  I think that I'm doing all these small projects as a wall of procrastinating getting back to my large quilts.  I must say though, I'm really looking forward to SewCanShe's March mini.  I will hook up again with the Show Off Saturday Link Party.  It's fun to look at, and to participate in, take a look.  (I also have a houses mini and a spools mini on my list of to do's.  I have no idea where I will put them all.  Maybe, in the hall)
Bee In My Bonnet's beelori1 has a tutorial for string blocks on her blog.  I have tried string blocks before, and pretty much hated the whole process, but I thought I'd give it another try her way.  I still don't love making them, but I didn't hate it as much and I plan to make more to see if they grow on me.  After all, I love how they look.