Thursday, February 2, 2012

Another Flimsy Complete

Sunrise Sunset (Orca Bay) is a flimsy now and has all its borders.  I added 3 more to Bonnie's 2, a 1 1/2", 5", and 2" finished for a total of 8 1/2 inches on each side.  It's kind of funny that Bonnie's last mystery was big and I made 2 out of it (still working on 1) and this one was small for her, and I made it into the biggest quilt that I've made I do believe.  It will be about 91.5" by 101.5" finished. 

A corner, as you've probably already guessed.  This close up shows that it really is blue and not green.   There is a background of blue and then gold figures with a bit of blue, and in most pictures it makes the fabric look green. 

Just another view.  This is on the queen sized bed in my sewing room, but when it's finished it will go on the queen sized bed in DH and my bedroom.  I've got 5 of the 6 borders that I've been working on completed, and just have 1 more to go on my leaders and enders quilt.  Then of course it's on to making backs and bindings and then on to the quilting.  My new sewing machine table for my quilting seems to have been delayed.  Their website says 2-3 weeks, but now they seem to be a bit behind and they're saying 5-6 weeks.  I guess that unless I want to use my machine as is (I don't, I want to see if it is actually easier to FMQ when your machine is even with the table top) I have at least a couple more weeks to get things ready.

Sorry, it's been a few weeks and I guess I'm out of practice I should have recommended that if you want to check out lots of Orca Bay progress go here at Bonnie's blog.

22 comments:

Gerda said...

This does look awesom!! I'm still waiting for the delivery of my requested batting, so my Orca Bay has come to a stand still.
How are you going to quilt this thing?
Gerda, the Netherlands

regan said...

Wow Candace! It looks awesome! I just love it!

Jan Maree said...

i love it Connie - and it looks fabulous contrasted with the white valance on the bed it is on! Yum!

Linda said...

It looks wonderful!

Samantha said...

Gorgeous!

I can attest to the fact that FMQ is much easier when your machine bed is even with your tabletop. My hubby custom built me a table that my machine fits down into and it is the best thing he has ever done for me (other than the three kids and letting me spend a cringeworthy amount on my last sewing machine). :)

Vicki Suan said...

Beautiful quilt! And huge too!

Ellen said...

Looks great and you did make it huge! I had been planning to add extra borders to mine as well but I have been rethinking that idea.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on your HUGE finish! The colors are so happy, it just makes me smile. Love what you did with the borders, it fits the bed perfectly. Glad you made it yours.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

That is a stunning version of Orca Bay. I like your additional borders. Great job.

Sue Daurio said...

Love love love the bright cheeriness of this one. And I like how you did the border to fit the bed, stunning!

Linda said...

Beautiful!! Love your fabric color choices. And your borders. Very nice!!

Suzy said...

Gorgeous! Congratulations! :o)

pcflamingo said...

Love the idea of the piano key border! Now I know how I will make my Orca Bay quilt bigger :D

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love your colors and your piano keys! What a neat idea. I hope your sewing machine table comes soon. I am just getting into FMQ and my machine is in a cabinet - I can't imagine FMQ when the machine is not even with the table top. ~Jeanne

Margaret said...

Hi Candace,

Thanks for stopping by to comment on my Orca Bay. Yours is absolutely stunning -- and all those borders in addition to the original piecing, piecing, piecing. "Wow!" is all I can say! Will you quilt it yourself?

Unknown said...

Love your colours Candace! Great idea for a border. Please can you explain "flimsy"? I've read it a couple of times and don't know the meaning. Thanks!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I love your extended borders. That is a stunning finish. Congratulations.

Béa said...

Love your unusual colours, beautiful finish & good luck for FM.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

It is beautiful and I love the extra borders you added on!
Quilting by the River

Smiley Quilter said...

Thank you for your comment on my quilt, your's is gorgeous. As you said we used similar colors but in different places and I find yours much brighter. I didn't continue mine to Queen size as I was finding it to bright(if that's possible);maybe overpowering is a better word.I love how yours turned out and the extra borders are wonderful.

Janet O. said...

Yummy colors, Candace! It is so fun to see everyone's unique twist to this pattern. You have done a beautiful job!!

Kathy said...

Wow, that is stunning! I like your idea for making it a bit bigger.