Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day and Misc. Quilting

Happy belated Valentine's day.  We had a nice one.  It didn't start out too well, as the first thing we had to take DH for a blood test, but then my daughter came over with Chinese take out, a nice card that she made herself and these beautiful flowers.   They have opened up nicely, yesterday they were about half the size.  DH's brother and his wife are visiting from up north, and so we went to his sister's house, about 45 minutes away, and had dinner with the visitor's and most of his sisters family, there were about ten of us, and the food was delicious.  We were there for most of the evening and got home late for us, about eleven.  I spent the rest of yesterday making cherry pit bags (like rice bags, but filled with cherry pits instead) to give.  I made 4 of them along with little french seam pillowcases, and they seemed to be well received.  Hopefully, they will find them useful, although that sounds like I'm wishing them an ache or pain or a tummy ache, and that's not the case at all, lol.  I gave one each to his brother and his wife, his sister and his wife, my niece and her husband, and my nephew and his girlfriend. 
As far as my quilting projects, I have 3 flimsy's ready to go with backings and bindings prepared.  I need to cut the battings and then get them basted.  I hope to give one away on Sunday, so hopefully, I can get at least one basted and quilted before then.  I have decided that I'm in purple overload, all three quilts have purple as a main color, I need my next project to be a different color with very little purple.
My new sewing table is still not here.  I  have received the insert and the rubber feet that I ordered for it, but as per the email I received yesterday they are hoping to have the manufacturer ship my table on Friday (What, it hasn't even been shipped yet, I ordered it January 14th.).  I am getting anxious, but I do still have to baste my quilts, and I can quilt the one I want this week on my old table.   Patience is not my greatest virtue though.
I'm trying to organize my fabric and I saw a method that looked interesting on youtube.  Unfortunately, I just looked for it and couldn't find it, but the lady cut cardboard boxes into pieces about 7 1/2 by 13 and then folded her fabric in half lengthwise and wrapped it around the little mini bolts securing everything with a rubber band.  I have done about 40 so far, and am waiting for more boxes.  I keep trying to get organized, but it's two steps forward and one step back.  Things were really in a mess after working on my three quilts, the biggest culprit being Sunrise Sunset (Orca Bay).  I'm getting back to normal though, and hopefully when I finish, better than normal.  When I get a little farther along I'll post pictures.  I must say though cutting up the cardboard is not an easy task.

4 comments:

regan said...

I can't believe you haven't got your sewing table yet! Argghhhhh! I'd be going crazy! Hang in there!

Margo in Maine said...

A friend is doing 'Orca Bay'...lots of pieces...I know what you mean about a messy Q room...mine is great until I start a project and start pulling and then what a mess...but isn't it fun...you sound like you have a plan....roses are gorgeous...

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Candace - Check out the Left-Handed Quilting page on my blog. I have a series of posts on how I manage and fold my stash. It may give you some ideas. ;))

Linda Lee said...

Your roses are beautiful. My DH had one red rose on the table for me when I arrived home from school. I was wondering about your sewing table. I have checked them out and would like to have one also. They make one for the Janome machine that I have so I wouldn't need to inserts. I am anxious to see how you like yours. I hope it arrives soon.