Sunday, September 5, 2010

Deviating Again and Grandson's Band


My oldest grandson (25) mentioned that his new girlfriend's baby is turning one year old the middle of the month, so I got the urge to make a quilt for the little fellow. I used what I already had completely, and it may be a hodgepodge, but it is colorful and will be cuddly. I was kind of doubtful about using the sock monkey fabric as it has a pink background, but they are masculine looking monkeys, so I hope that his mom is ok with it. My grandson is supposed to check and make sure that he doesn't already have bunches of blankets and quilts, and if the answer is yes this one will be his. If he does, then I'll save it for another young lad (my FIL was English and that's what he called DH occasionally). It is 40" x 48". I got the idea from a baby quilt on about.com, only they used 4 1/2 inch squares, and I wanted it bigger so I used 6 1/2 inch squares. It is a very easy one, and I figure I have about 11 hours into it now and it is basted and ready to quilt. I'm hoping that with quilting, label and binding (which is already made) that maybe I can finish it in a total of 15 hours. Not bad for a quilt from start to finish if I can do it.


I only had my cell phone camera with me, so these pictures are really bad, but 2 of these are my grandsons. They had a "gig" last night at a local restaurant/bar, and we went to see them. It was from 11 pm to 1 am, and we got home about 2 am. It's been a long time since DH and I were out at that hour, lol. They did really well and we were very proud of them. The one with the curly dark brown hair is 17 (playing guitar) and the one with curly red hair is 22 (also playing guitar). They both did a little singing also, and the 17 year old played a little drum.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Hi Candace,
I think it is looking really cute. The colors are wonderful and I think a little pink will be just fine without making it girly. That is so fun that you were able to see your grandsons band play!
Valerie

scraphappy said...

What a great quilt, and it came together so fast. Almost any fabrics seem to work in a kids quilt, especially with a little space to breathe in the sashing. I wouldn't worry a bit about the pink, boys enjoy sock monkey's just as much as girls. I can't imagine being out until 2 in the morning, so nice that you went out to show support for you family though.