Saturday, August 1, 2009

Tea at Rebecca's

In our church we have visiting teachers, which are ladies who try to drop by once a month for a visit and to leave a short message on a gospel subject. Mine for the past few years has been Rebecca (she used to go by Becky but is trying to change to Rebecca). Rebecca is a single lady and a school teacher. She is very talented musically with a beautiful voice and plays piano (and probably other instruments too) wonderfully. I guess that she is also a do it yourselfer, as she took on an old house and has turned it into a beautiful home doing much of the work herself. The work is still going on in fact. Above is a picture of her yard which is a double lot in the little town where I live in Central Florida. The picture below is the front of her house which was built many decades ago by a prominent politician as his summer home. A couple of weeks ago she had several ladies over for a "tea", there wasn't any tea, but there was juice and fresh fruit, ham, roasted potatoes a breakfast casserole and several other yummy dishes. I took a plate home for DH too, as he loves fruit. I asked her a couple of days later if I could come and take some pictures of her home for my blog and she graciously allowed me to. Her floor she laid herself from boards she got from a house that had been build around 1918 and was being torn down. She got some discouragement from some of the men in the church, but she persevered and it is beautiful. I think that the aha! gives her a little pleasure, she is human after all. Her ceiling is stencilled, and her kitchen cupboards came from another house that was being demolished. They have the old wavy glass and are quite beautiful. We have a new outdoor mall about 12 miles from us where Joann's fabric store is, and that is where the house stood that she got her cupboards from. It's an unusual home and I was happy to have been invited and I hope that you enjoyed the little tour also.




































































































An update on my quilts. I have the tops and backs done and next need to cut the batting. I am holding off on one boy quilt, but have two girl quilts to do for a total of 6. I have given up on the idea of having them done by this Wednesday, but I hope to have them done not too long after.


14 comments:

Susan in SC said...

What a beautiful home! Your friend Rebecca must surely be a very talented lady. It is such a sweet, serene home!

Marie said...

What a beautiful home and she has done so beautifully with it. good luck on your quilts girlfriend. Hugs, Marie

Michelle said...

Rebecca's home is beautiful! Please tell her I said so. I loved seeing all the photos. Thank you for sharing!
be blessed,
Michelle

Lurline said...

Such a beautiful home - makes one feel like Alice in Wonderland!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Gina said...

What a beautiful house. I'll have to keep repeating all day now, "I'm not jealous".

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Anita said...

Your friend is indeed talented. Her house is lovely and reminds me of my grandparents home. Very nice pictures. Glad you aren't pushing yourself on the quilts that can sure take the joy out of doing something nice.

Louise said...

Rebecca should be proud of herself to create such a beautiful storybook home! Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Louise

Teresa said...

OH my gosh, I can not even begin to imagine the pleasure of waking up each morning to live in this home. It is just beautiful, yet comfortable looking. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Margo in Maine said...

How inviting.....beautiful home and ..thanks for sharing...enjoyed!!

Grace said...

Rebecca is a talented lady. Does she have a blog where she documents her creativity?

Grace

Julia said...

Such a beautiful home - Thank you for the tour..
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

Beautiful home.... great designs...

___________________
Melvin
We do your Marketing for best sales

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.