Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Nine Patches

I have been making nine patches like a maniac for the past couple of days. I needed 70 for the Crazy Mom Quilts sew along, and I had those done a week or two ago. Then I got to thinking, which isn't always a good thing. Why do I want a twin sized quilt when I don't have any twin beds or know anyone who does who needs a quilt, maybe I should do two lap quilts instead. I figured it out, and I needed 26 more nine patches. I know some ladies have nice big stashes and could probably get 96 strips of any one color at a moment's notice, but I had to dig. I thought I had used all my resources when I got the first 70, but I was able to come up with what I thought was 26 (I counted wrong, it was 24)









Then I found out that my oldest grandson and his girlfriend from Pennsylvania are giving being together another try. They had visited back about February and we fell in love with her two children, they were 2 and 3, and quite amusing and loveable, as are most little children. I got to thinking again. Maybe, I should make 1 adult lap quilt and two children's quilts. I figured it out, and I needed about 22 more nine patches (my math wasn't too good, as I ended up with 2 extras). If you notice in this last batch there are lots of plaids, mostly brown. I had to start robbing from fabrics that I had put aside for some quilts, and these came from some I'm planning for my brothers.







The original quilts have white sashing, and I love the look of it, but Rhonda from Doxie's on my Quilt got me thinking about Kona Robin's Egg Blue, so I thought that that would be good for the sashing for the little boy, Ethan's quilt. And so why not a pretty Candy Pink Kona for his sister, Savanna.
Next on the agenda is to do some housework and then get the 6 children's quilts spray basted, quilted, bound and sent off.

7 comments:

Marie said...

Luv your nine patches, I bet they will be really cool. Hope all is going well on your end. Hugs< Marie

Anita said...

Amazing what you can find when you thing you've used it all. Very nice nine patches. I've always enjoyed nine patch swaps.

Amanda said...

Oh my word Candace, you really need to stop thinking so much! So, how many quilts is that you've got on the go now - I think I make it 9?

Gina said...

Love the nine patches. they will make great quilts.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Nichole said...

that's becoming quite the ambitious 9 patch project! i am sure all of those quilts will be well loved.

Billye said...

Love your 9 patches, your blog and you! Trying to figure out how to follow your blog -- am I missing a link somewhere?

Thanks so much for forwarding me the link -- I'd read about your ruler rack and stuff, so I've been here before.

Hugs,

Billye

Teresa said...

Well you know, I could probably think of a few more people that would love one of these quilts. So if you have the desire to make more 9 patches, let me know!