Saturday, February 16, 2013

BOM's and DH

I didn't sew at all for almost a month, as DH went in the hospital for an ablation and ended up with open heart surgery.  After two weeks he was sent home and went back in after about three days, long story, but he spent a few more days in ICU and then a few in the regular room and this time released to rehab for an approximate one to four week stay.  I stayed with him almost 24 hours a day when he was in the hospital, but now that he is in rehab I stay with him about 12 hours a day, over night actually.  In the hospital he had a private room and there was a recliner and a love seat, in the rehab, only a straight chair and a roommate.  I stay over night, but can't sleep well there, so go home to rest.  Since I can't always rest, I have sewn.  I tried to catch up on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge first and here were my first blocks. 

Next, I did the 16 patches.


Then on to what will be either a Rainbow Scrap Bargello or a Rainbow Scrappy Trip Around the World from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville. 

The leftover 2 1/2 inch strips will become a Rainbow Strippie Jelly Roll Race style quilt at the end.

Here's a wrap up of February's purple RSC.   Top left, possible bargello, top right, 16 patches, bottom left possible trip around the world, middle right strippie, and bottom right snowballs and nine patches.  If you want to enjoy lots of purples and maybe some pinks, go to Angela's blog, Soscrappy here.

Here is the lesson four block from the Craftsy Re-piecing the past, Civil War Blocks Then and Now class.  I didn't read the directions very well and had to do this one twice.   My blocks aren't as crooked as they seem, my design flannel is over a louvered door, and it is wavy.   My colors for this one are blue, gold, green and red.   I'm a bit color challenged, so each quilt is a big ? mark.

Another Craftsy class, this is the February lesson from the Craftsy BOM 2013.   Brown, cheddar, green and purple for this one.   I can only hope.


These two are the February blocks from the Craftsy BOM 2012.  I've made them before, but this time I'm adding them to the Sugar Block Club blocks for a queen sized quilt.  Again, they are square, but don't look it due to the wavy flannel.  Pink, gray, red and blue for this one.  I still have the Sugar Block Club and my OKC Modern Quilter's Guild block to do and then I'll be caught up on my BOM's.   Hope next month is better, but when DH comes home I guess I could be busier as it's hard to know how independent he will be.   Good news for my little town in Central Florida.  We had a Hobby Lobby open this week so now I'll have my local quilt shop, Walmart and Hobby Lobby within 15 minutes.  I know how fortunate that I am. 

14 comments:

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

In our darkest days, quilters have the advantage. --- our sewing keeps the sanity. Your blocks are beautiful!

Sheila said...

All your blocks are beautiful. So many excellent ideas and pretty fabrics.
I'm sorry to hear your DH is not well. You have to be exhausted. Please take care of yourself.

scraphappy said...

Sorry to hear about DH. You are very dedicated to slt in a chair all night. Glad you are able to find a bit of escape with your sewing. What a great collection of blocks.

Lesley said...

Your purple blocks are stunning! You are certainly facing huge challenges with DH's medical situaltion...take care of yourself too!

Kate said...

Hope your DH continues to improve and is home soon. Gorgeous blocks!

Sarah said...

Your blocks are really pretty. Sewing is such a great way to relax and unwind and it sounds as if you have needed some of that. Hope DH is well on the way to recovery and will be home with you soon.

Katie Z. said...

All your purple blocks are great! I hope your husband feels better soon.

make.share.give said...

Love love love your scrappy trip around the world! So glad you have something to keep your hands busy during this difficult time.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

If someone had asked me I would have sworn you were in Australia!
And here you are just a USA width from me :)
I've been thinking good thoughts all month for both of you. Being the caregiver full time is draining, take care of you too.
Sharyn in Kalama

Edith said...

Candace, you certainly got a lot done in spite of time spent caring for your DH, I hope all goes well and he continues to mend. I'm also working on the scrappytripalong in a rainbow of colours and cutting strips for future projects. Take care.

Pattilou said...

You've got some lovely blocks--and you must have lots of purple in your stash! Like others before, I wish your DH the best and please, you get your rest too! Take care.

Deb A said...

Lots of pretty purple blocks to play with at the end of the year. So glad quilting has helped you this last month. Hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery for your DH.

Deb A said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

What a rotten time you've had, so hope things are looking up now and that better things are to come. Thank goodness for sewing to help keep your mind off things.