Friday, September 14, 2012

Craftsy Block of the Month

I signed up for the Craftsy Block of the Month class and have been rather bogged down, as I didn't know what colors and I didn't really have enough solid fabric (except for tan, which I used for the Quilt of Valor mystery and I wanted something with a bit more pizazz).  It's not a solid, but the lavender is going to be my background color and orange and green my other colors.  I tried to look online and pick something by a color wheel, and I wasn't too successful.  As far as I could figure, I think these 3 colors are supposed to go together.   I don't have a good eye for color, but I know I like green and purple together, and adding the orange is ok with my gypsy soul.  
Can someone tell me why I'm doing this (lol).   I still have several other projects to finish, and instead, here I am starting 2 new quilts, this and the Granny Square.  I don't know why but it reminds me of a joke that I heard a long time ago.  "A Chinese gentleman was expressing his puzzlement about tea preparation.  First they boil it to make it hot, then they add ice to make it cold.  Next they add sugar to make it sweet and lemon to make it tart.  Americans are crazy people."   I think quilters must be crazy people too, I told you I didn't know why it reminded me of the joke. 
I went to Michael's today.   My x-sister-in-law used to say you could find everything at Michaels.  Not so much.  No zippers, no zipper pulls, no color wheels.  I did get some ribbon, but that was all.  My daughter and I are making cases for her new Kindle Fire, which will come the end of November, and my new Ipad.   This is the one, Craftsy again.   We will be sizing it down a bit, and hoping for the best.  
I finished meandering my Holland quilt this morning.  My binding is all prepared and I do the binding by machine, so I'm hoping to finish it today, wash it and hopefully deliver it in the next day or two. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That's certainly going to be a vibrant quilt and you're right, those colours do go well together. I learnt a bit about the colour wheel in my City and Guilds class, but I can't remember much. I tend to go on instinct. I think a lot of people enjoy the creative process of starting something new, but once you've understood the process it gets a bit boring. I imagine that's why I try really hard to finish things, as I know I'd have a huge pile of UFOs if I wasn't really disciplined.