Monday, December 22, 2008

Almost Ready for Christmas



I've been visiting blogs and being awed by the projects and decorations, and mine aren't in the same league (need greenery), but I thought that I'd share a bit too. Above are figurines that I got probably 30 years ago from Home Interiors, and I still like them. The crystal nativity set I got piecemeal from the Waterford outlet store that we have (or had?) here in Orlando. When I liked to shop, I had my rounds, lol. Now, I don't go to the stores much, I do a lot online when I need something, or want something. Below is part of my Rowe Pottery Collection, and the little quilt that I won in a giveaway on Donna's - in the attic and she's having a quilt party today, too. I was surprised to see how well this little quilt goes with Thanksgiving and Christmas, I love it.
The picture below is my china cabinet, just a little decorated. I live in Florida, and am kind of afraid of fresh greenery due to critters, and I don't know where to store the artificial stuff. Maybe one of these days.
Below, is one of the tabletoppers that I made a few years ago, the other side is autumn, so I use them starting about the middle of October and then flip them over after Thanksgiving. The pillow covers I made about 10 years ago.
Below is just the middle of my table, I just got one of the fake candles, and it is very nice, it even has a timer and goes on in the evening and stays on for 5 hours automatically, pretty neat. The sleigh is more of my outlet wandering booty.

Can you tell I like the Old World Santas?

Do you think Santa will find our stockings?

No tree yet, I have gone back and forth (vacillating is my #1 skill). I've decided to split the difference, and get a little table top tree, I'm going to shop today. Next year I will go for the big tree, and use my tree skirt. I made one years ago, and have been missing it. Maybe I'll take a picture of it just because, but I have to get batteries first.DH and I were anticipating Christmas alone, except for going to my daughters for a little while, but my son and his family will be coming. Part of the group won't be here as they are traveling, but we should be seven or more. I have also wobbled back and forth on a menu, but this will be it:

Ham
Potato Salad
Tamales
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
Fruit Salad
Fruit Dressing
Hot Buttered Punch
Cool-Aid
Pumpkin Cake
Mrs. Smith’s Pies
Ice Cream

The tamales will be made by my DIL, and I'm sure they'll be delicious, as they are one of her specialties. The sweet potatoes, hot buttered punch, and pumpkin cake are recipes that I have gotten off blogs and yahoo groups, and I'm hoping for the best. We'll see.Merry Christmas, everyone and Happy Hanukkah.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I think your decorations look very festive Candace, though Santa has little chance of making a quiet get-away if he used your plate stand as a ladder to reach your stockings! Your planned menu sounds yummy - can you point me to a recipe for crockpot sweet potatoes? I can't eat ordinary potatoes and have not yet found a recipe for sweet potatoes that I care for. Have a great Christmas.

Kay said...

Looks like you've got this holiday perfectly planned. I am in awe of all the beautiful decorations you have. They're all so beautiful.

Kay said...

Looks like you've got this holiday perfectly planned. I am in awe of all the beautiful decorations you have. They're all so beautiful.

jenclair said...

Beautiful decorations and the menu makes me hungry!

Anita said...

Who needs greenery when you have so many lovely things to put out. Spending 22 years following DH around the world didn't lend itself to collecting much. Still not in the habit and this year what we do have is packed. So we have a small tree and that's it this year. Glad to see you post I've missed you.

SueR said...

It has been fun reading all the Christmas blogs, hasn't it? Your decorations are lovely, and your Santa collection is great. Merry Christmas, Candace.