Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fourth out of Four Flimsys

I made one of Michelle's car caddies from the tutorial she shared on Sew We Quilt.  I really like it, although I left off the decorative button.  Michelle has a really cool blog, she rescues sewing machines and cleans them, and shares some with "the Sewing Machine Project".  I have been coveting a singer 301, and looking at her blog just made me want one all over again.  I don't really need another machine, but......

The last flimsy is done for my gift of 6 quilts to my niece and her family.  Two are finished, and now I just have to make backs, cut batting, baste and quilt these four and embroider names on the backs.  A lot of hours left, and my goal is to finish by mid march.  This one is very much like the other one that I did using some of my RSC blocks.  This one is RSC blocks too, I just added frames and sashing and cornerstones.
I also finished my barn quilt.  Since my other niece said she coveted it, I decided she should have it, and I basted and quilted it in one long day.  She's supposed to be getting me pictures to share.

Friday, February 7, 2014

2 Flimsys

Last year I took part in the Flower Patch Quilt Along, and got all my flowers done, but recently I saw a niece that I hadn't made quilts for her entire family.  I made 3 quilts for her family, but I saw her this past week-end and offered to fill in the gaps.  The original quilt called for 17 flowers, and it made one quilt.  Since I have about 6 quilts to do, I decided to make one into two.  These are the result, with some obvious fillers. 

I need 3 girl quilts, 2 boy quilts, and maybe one more.   These two are for her daughters and I still need one for her fiance's daughter.  I have one quilt finished that I made for a boy quilt a year or so ago, and another top finished.  Those will take care of her son (my nephew) and her fiance's son.   This past week-end we went to a family bar-b-Que at my nephews and I gave my brother one of the Celtic Solstice quilts, he was 'not' overwhelmed, but it was mostly for warmth, and it does look better than the blanket that was on his bed.   I still have the other, and I'm thinking of giving it to my niece (I gave her a quilt a few years ago).  It has the Gator colors in it that were in the quilt that I recently made for her fiance, so it will blend.  That would just leave her fiance's daughter, and I'm thinking a simple quilt like maybe a strippie.
I'm working away, and will soon have a basting and quilting marathon.  I'll have 5 quilts to do, including my barn quilt.  I'm hoping to finish by mid march, my nieces are supposed to be coming for my granddaughter's baby shower, and I can give them then.  It'll save a good bit of shipping.  

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Barn Flimsy Done

I got up this morning and assembled my barn quilt.  I've had all the blocks made for quite awhile, but it's been waiting it's turn.  Thank you to Lori Holt for the fun QAL.   Her blog is Bee in my Bonnet.   She says it's 64" by 84", so I'll take her word for it.  Now, to get another top or two done, and then another basting and quilting marathon.   I haven't finished with barns though, I still want to do a few of her silo barns, and a tracter. 

Saturday, January 25, 2014

And Bag No. 2



Temple Bag No. 1 Finished

The front.

The back.  Pocket no. 1, zipper pocket.

The front, under the flap.  Pocket 2 and 3 under pocket no 4.

The inside.  Pocket 5, zipper pocket, pocket 6 large pocket on top of zipper pocket, and pockets 7 and 8 on the opposite side. 

Size comparison to a 12 by 18 mat.

Friday, January 24, 2014

RSC Quilt Finish from RSC 2013

I have my third quilt finish for 2014.  It was from the RSC 2013, and is 8 months worth of snowballs and 9 patches.  I made it for a wedding present for a very pleasant server, and I hope she likes it.  The quilting is even more mediocre of a mediocre meandering than usual, as I couldn't see half the time, the thread just didn't show up enough on some of the fabrics, especially the sashing.  All in all though, I think it is pretty if you just don't look too closely. 
To enjoy some beautiful 'blue' projects, visit Angela at Soscrappy here 

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Finish No. 2

Celtic Solstice 2, second finish for the year.

Celtic Solstice 1 and 2.  At least they're done.   Just one more basted top to quilt and finish, but it'll have to wait a bit.  My brother is very ill and my husband and I will be going to visit this week, and as much as we can. 

Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Finish of 2014

Not what it's supposed to look like, but not horrible.  One basted quilt-top down, two to go.

Next 2 Steps of Temple Bag

Five pockets each and straps.  Next step, assembly.  My Quilt Diet QAL here.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Same but Different - Both Unfortunate

I had these sewn together as one of the smaller size of Celtic Solstice, but I don't really like square quilts, and my color choices made me not want it as a bed quilt, so I took it apart and made it into two lap-sized quilts, they'll finish at about 63 by 82 each. 

My unfortunate substitution of grey for white-creams, made my pattern very very subtle, you have to almost know that it's there.  They're basted now, and being an optimist, I still hope that quilting will improve things a bit.  I still have one more quilt to baste, but I need to get another sheet for a backing (I have twins, but need a full), and after basting these two today, my sore fingers and back need a little rest.   I hope to have 3 finishes in a few days.  Not too bad of a start for 2014, even if my color choices were unfortunate, lol.   I do hope to make this one again, maybe not scrappy, and maybe with the alternate pattern that I've seen others use of turning the chevrons around and making stars.   And lots of contrast.