Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sewing Buddy? Amy's BOM 2010 and RRCB Progress

On Quiltvillechat they talk about the snails of which I am a snail extraordinaire.  I now have 22 of my 60 string blocks prepared for my RRCB.   The other day a lady DH and I knew from work came over to sew with me.   We had run into her different times over the past few years, we don't live in a really big town.  The last time about 2 weeks ago it came out that she's working on her first quilt, a baby quilt for her new great-grandbaby, and I invited her to come over and sew with me.   We had a nice time, I helped her a little, and got these two blocks made, and we went and had BBQ, one of my favorite parts, lol.   There is a Shop Hop coming up, she's never been and she and DH and I might go together, also I think that we may sew together again.   I haven't had anyone to sew with before, except for making the tote bags with my daughter, so it was nice.  She is new at quilting, but not at sewing.  She amazed me by having made her daughter's wedding dress years ago.
I was going to go for a setting of 4x6 blocks on Amy's 2010 BOM, but when I got to figuring, I decided that that would be a little bigger than I would want.  I figured it again and with a 3x5 setting and borders I should end up with about 58" x 86" which is just about the size I like for adult lap quilts.  I'm trying to use my stash as much as possible and I had this batik with mostly the same colors so I decided to use it for sashing and I have a purple and yellow print to use for a small border and a Kaffe Fassett fabric with blues, yellows, greens  and  pinky lavenders to use for the wide border.   The color combos may be a little strange, but most of mine are, lol.   I still want to do more of Amy's blocks, but I think that I'll switch over to red, white, and blue.   That will be after I finish my paintbox quilts and hopefully Iowa (Carolina) Christmas.   Meanwhile, I have about 2 weeks to finish this one and I'll keep up with my goal for at least one finish a month, Yippee.

8 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

I like your string blocks very much.

Unknown said...

Your BOM quilt is looking great! Love the colors!

Linda said...

You know I always used to feel bad about how little I would get done and how much everybody else seemed to do....Then, I just decided I was not in a race to see who was first, I was in it for the joy of it. I now do it at my pace and if that's quick...then that's ok, if it's not so quick, then that's ok too. I enjoy my sewing more now too. There are deadlines sometimes but that's life. I enjoy sewing with other people too. I sew with several friends every other Friday night. I usually don't get as much done but I sure have a good time. I hope you enjoy your sewing time with your friend. Your quilt is looking great, have fun!

Amanda said...

How nice for you to have found a sewing friend, it will be good if you manage to get together again. Your BOM is looking good. I had some of the blocks made by other people in an online sewing bee I was in, but I still have to get round to making some more and finishing it. I've downloaded most of the blocks so that I still have them to work on once Amy's removed them.

Michele said...

It is always fun to quilt with a friend! How lucky you are to have found one :-) I worry that I quilt too slowly, in blogland people seem to get so much more done than I do! I try to remember that I can only do so much in one day, but it's hard to keep that in mind, isn't it?

Perry said...

Your quilt is looking good! It is nice to have someone to sew with.

Perry said...

Your quilt is looking good! It is nice to have someone to sew with.

Anonymous said...

Love your Amy quilt. It will be just beautiful!!! Can't wait to see it done! Happy St Patrick's Day. I love the story of Saint Patrick! Love you 4 leaf clover in the corner~