Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homely Quilts, But Been Busy

First of all, I went to my LQS and they were having some of their fabrics on sale for $5.00 a yard, so I treated myself to a few miscellaneous yards. I don't have any plans for the fabrics except for the one on the right which I got for the bindings on my children's quilts.

Speaking of my childrens quilts, I have all the preperations done, and hope to actually baste and quilt them soon. I used the Super Sized Nine Patch from Quiltmaker and just made them a bit bigger (kids are from 2 to 6). As my title suggests, they are homely, but colorful and hopefully that age group won't be too fussy.






Here's my other homely quilt. I decided to participate in the Quiltville Super Bowl Twist, and then decided to make it bigger and make it for my Grandson, the only one out of fourteen who has actually requested a quilt. I had bought some fabrics to make him a lap sized quilt a couple or three years ago and so used that fabric for the borders. It was never my taste, but was the colors he had requested at the time. Back then, he was living by himself, and now he is living with a girlfriend, so this will hopefully turn out well enough that he'll like it. It is huge, about 92 x 105, so I'm waiting to try quilting it after I finish the baby quilts, and hopefully by then I'll have my courage up.



This last picture is the beginning of my little wallhangings for the Pay it Forward. If I don't get anyone else, I may make pillowcases for hospitals instead. I'm not going to let it stress me, if I don't I don't, at least I tried.




DH and I drove about 90 miles to see the Sandhill Cranes en masse, and found out that there had been about 7000 and they were down to about 200. Sadly, we didn't see a single one, although one time we did hear them. We enjoyed the ride together though, and while we were out we had lunch at Cracker Barrel. Sometimes I get a craving for a "good" hamburger, and now I know where to find one. Cracker Barrel makes a very good burger.
I hope everyone is safe. Like everyone else, I worry about the fires in Australia, and am saddened by the tragedy of it.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Ah, those quilts aren't homely - they are homey! They have that warm cozy feel that reminds one of home. Great job!

Anita said...

I agree they are homey quilts. They are the ones that will be used because they are special. I'd like to sign up for the pay it forward, but I can't. We are hoping to be so busy selling the house and moving this year I don't want to commit to something and then not get it done. Hopefully if someone is doing one next year I'll be in a position to join. There is some information on my blog about sending some quilt blocks to Austraila to be made into quilts for the people who have lost everything there. I'm going to get a couple of blocks in the mail this week.

SueR said...

Why on earth would you think those were homely quilts? The Super Bowl twister looks terrific to me, scrappy, and right up my alley! They'll be just fine once they're quilted!

Chookyblue...... said...

nice shopping.......great bargain.....like the beginnings of your wall hanging........

Anonymous said...

all your quilts you are making are wonderful, i do like the polar bear fabric too,
take care

Perry said...

These are great quits Candace! your children will love them because you made them. I would join your pif but I got burned on one and will not join another one. Good luck with yours. I personally would love the little egg wall hanging, it is precious!

Anonymous said...

Hello Candace, I loved seeing your work.So sad about the Sand Cranes, the way of the world we live in.Regards Lyn