Friday, March 26, 2010
Second Quilt for 2010 and Second Finish for the Week
I don't know if anyone remembers my four big boy quilts which I thought were quite homely. This is the first one finished (finally; the back says Robert 2009) and I'm actually very pleased. The pattern doesn't show up well here, but each block is a medium strip, a small strip and a large strip. I copied it from a quilt on another blog, which I thought looked quite good, and easy. The four are all basically the same, although the blocks are random, except each has a different border. Now, only about ten more tops and I'll be caught up, lol.
I have decided that although I'm not good at it, I do enjoy the free motion quilting. I don't know if I'll progress to much more than meandering, as I don't have any artistic talents, but I am improving a bit, and it is fun as long as the machine cooperates, and my Juki has been doing well.
The part that hangs me up and makes me procrastinate is the basting. Boy do I dislike basting. I tried pins, not so good, as I tended to run over them now and then and break my needles. Next, I tried Sharon Schamber's board method, which I rather like. I tried it with basting spray instead of thread, and it worked wonderfully except for the sticky mess. Also, my DH got pneumonia and I felt that the spray could have contributed. On my GGD's baby quilt, I used Sharon Schamber's method with the thread, and it worked well, except it is so time consuming. I guess, unless someone has a better suggestion (other than a frame, lol) I'll keep doing the thread. I have a goal to get my backlog done, and then to not do tops unless I finish them right away. On one of the Yahoo Forums someone was talking about unquilted tops being closet clutter, and it sounded right to me, lol.
Here's a link to the board method:
P.S. I hope the boys (ages 13 to 17) find them manly enough, there is nary a pink, purple, or flower to be found.